Divergent Talk + Review! (with Becca Jayne from Pretty Little Memoirs)

Thursday 3 October 2013



So this is a little different, or divergent, from our normal review styles...this week, me and Becca Jayne from Pretty Little Memoirs, are doing a Divergent discussion and review, and will be continuing this for the whole trilogy by Veronica Roth!
Let's get started!

 
   
  In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-old's must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.
 
 
  Sophie: I didn't really know about this book, until I heard it was being made into a movie. After watching the trailer which was amazing, I decide to read the book first. The tagline on the front drew me in along with the blurb. As soon as I read the first page, I was hooked and couldn't put it down.
Becca: When I first read about this last year, I snatched it up. It sat on my shelf for a while before I finally got around to reading it this year when Dystopian books were becoming a favourite of mine. I was first taken aback by the whole faction thing, because I thought; how am I going to remember all these factions and rules? But then it wasn't as complicated as I thought and was seriously addictive as soon as I started.
 

 Who was your favourite character?
Becca: My favourite character was most definitely Tris. She was impulsive (in a good way), fiery and honest. She wasn't always so rule obedient, but that made her the girl she was. If she hadn't have been so curious and question everything, then she wouldn't have been an iconic lead character. I also liked Four, because even though he was a little bit of an idiot to Tris in the start, I ended up liking his character in the end.
Sophie: My favourite character would have to be Tris, from reading the book she is a likeable character that you get to know as the book progresses. I like that she is different from the rest of the people, yet that doesn't stop her. I like that she is loyal to her friends, and the chemistry she has with Four that make the book even more enjoyable.

Favourite scene?
Becca: Obviously I'm going to say the knife-throwing scene from Chapter 13. That was the moment I was like; Four definitely has a thing for Tris, and she's oblivious, and he's going about it the wrong way. But regardless to them as a couple, it was still thrilling and a classic scene that Veronica wrote.
Sophie:  My favourite would have to be the Ferris Wheel scene from Chapter 12. This showed how much being Dauntless meant to Tris, as she took it upon herself to climb. The other thing I liked about the scene was that Four went with her, even though his argument was realistic, you could tell there was a underlining reason to why he went with her.

What is the part that you are looking forward to seeing projected from the book to the big screen when Divergent hits cinemas?
Becca: Everything to do with the Chasm, basically. It's so vividly described in the book, from where Al dies, to where Tris is almost killed, to where Four and Tris kiss. If it looks anything like Veronica wrote about, it'll be a good translation from book to screen for me.
Sophie:  The scenes to do with the trains, as they jump off the trains a lot in the book and there is a lot revolving around them. There are some important scenes that are either on the trains and that have a big impact on the story.

Who was your least favourite character?
Becca: The characters were all so well made, so I couldn't fault any of their characteristics, but who I didn't like because he was a horrible person, was Peter. I know that Molly and Drew were probably as horrible, but he was my pet peeve. I just wanted Tris to slap him SO bad, haha.
Sophie:  It is hard to pick one, each are unique in his or her own way. Some are nicer than others and others are nastier. Though if I had to pick one, or three it would be Peter, Drew and Molly as they are always trying to hurt and annoy Tris throughout the book.

Favourite quote?
Becca: I have something I need to tell you," he says. I run my fingers along the tendons in his hands and look back at him. "I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though."
"That's sensible of you," I say, smiling too. "We should find some paper so you can make a list or a chart or something."
I feel his laughter against my side, his nose sliding along my jaw, his lips pressing my ear.
"Maybe I'm already sure," he says, "and I just don't want to frighten you."
I laugh a little. "Then you should know better."
"Fine," he says. "Then I love you.”
Sophie:  But he just says, "Careful, Tris."
My stomach drops like I just swallowed a stone. A Dauntless member at another table calls out Four's name, and I turn to Christina. She raises both eyebrows.
"What?" I ask.
"I'm developing a theory."
"And it is?"
She picks up her hamburger, grins, and says, "That you have a death wish."

What did you think of the plot (the factions, the rules, etc)?
Becca: The factions were so interesting and unique to Divergent, that it made me think Veronica Roth must have the most vivid and creative imagination. I loved how the factions were color-coordinated by their loyalties, how the initiation took place...everything was just so addictive to read about. I must admit that the Dauntless initiation was a little frightening to read about, but bravery came with a price, there.
Sophie:  There is five different factions, each different from the next. Though after reading the first couple of chapters, you get to know what each fraction is and the type of people that are linked to them. Each faction has different rules that they must follow, in Tris's case because she choose Dauntless the challenges are rules are a lot more dangerous and thrilling. Though each challenge becomes more thrilling and dangerous than before, testing how much they really want to become a Dauntless member.

What made you like Divergent overall?
Becca: I think it was half the detail, and half Tris's narrative, because the detail was something that roped me in, and then the way Tris led her life from Abnegation to Dauntless, and finding out she was Divergent, she was a true heroine. It was just so addictive, that I could've stayed in the storyworld forever, so I'm pretty sure it's one of my favourite books of all time.
Sophie:  I think it was the story, as it was completely different from any other book I had ever read before. I loved the setting and what the book is about. The bravery, the courage and the loyalties that as tested during the course of the book.

What do you think will happen next?
Becca: I expect SO much to go down with Erudite! I think that Tris is going to really take charge of her future, even if that does mean not always listening to Four. Possibly some twists that we haven't stepped foot in yet, too. I already have my copy of Insurgent waiting for me, so I will be reading ASAP.
Sophie:  I can't wait until Insurgent, as Divergent left off on a cliffhanger. I am also looking forward to the friendships and relationships that Tris has with people and how they will develop over the course of the next two books.
 
 
After reading the whole book, I can official say that Divergent is my favourite young adult book now, pushing Twilight well out of the way. (Though it will always be a close second) I really enjoyed everything about this book, the storyline, the characters and the action that was packed into this amazing book. I was really debating whether to read this book or not, but after hearing all of the great things, so I decided to take a risk and read it, I did not regret it once.
 
After reading the first sentence, I was hooked. The book is set in Tris's point of view so you get to know her from the start, you find out about the different fractions you can choose from and the type of people that are members of them. The different factions are Dauntless, Candor, Amity, Erudite and Abnegation. Tris belonged to Abnegation before transferring to Dauntless at the choosing ceremony, a different fraction, new rules to follow and new friendships to be formed.
 
Even though Divergent revolves around Tris, you get to meet the people from her new fraction but also the people from her old one as well. Her parents and brother are a big part of her life, even after she chose Dauntless over Abnegation. Tris soon strikes up friendships with Christina, Will and Al, but not everything as it seems. Though the one thing Tris never expected upon arriving at Dauntless was the trainer that was in charge of them, Four.
 
There are also some bad people who are part of Dauntless as well, Peter, Molly and Drew are out to destroy and make Tris's life hell. Though they think she is weak, but Tris is very smart and is willing to do anything she can to show them and anyone else that she is made out for Dauntless. There are people who are mentioned throughout the book, Eric, a dauntless leader, Lynn, Marlene and Uriah who are also in the Dauntless challenge just like Tris. There is also Tori, who you meet early on in the book and she knows the secret that Tris holds, a secret that could destroy Tris if it were to be revealed.
 
Over the course of the book, you get to see the friendship that soon turns in to much more than either one thought it would. There are a lot of twists and turns that happen in Divergent, the cliffhanger at the end makes you know that the next book will be just as exciting and thrilling as the first was. I didn't except the book to end like it did, I wasn't expecting that ending, it was nothing no one could except and that what make it better in a way.
 
A lot happens in the course of Divergent, it will make you think about what bravery really means, what happens when everything you knew was just another lie, what happens when you fall in love unexpectedly and who you can really trust after everything falls apart.
 
Divergent is not any other book you will read, it has everything you could want in a book and so much more. Its about fighting for what you believe in and holding on to the things that matter the most when everything else fails. A story about friendship, loyalties and overcoming your most hardest fears in order to survive. I can't wait to read Insurgent to find out what happens next and to read more about Tris and the life that she must now lead.
 
If I had to sum this book up in three words, they would be Amazing, Thrilling and Divergent. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves Dystopian worlds, friendships that are so much more than they seem and a unforgettable story of love, lies and betrayals.
 
This book is defiantly a 5/5. Truly Amazing.
 
Another day, another book,
 
 
 
 

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog! Leave a link and I will be sure to visit your site, too!