Review of Lying to Meet You by Anna Garner

Tuesday 3 September 2013

 
 
 
Does being in a relationship make you a hot commodity in the eyes of would-be suitors?


Chloe Lane is about to find out. When her childhood pal, Ethan Webster, asks her to play the part of his girlfriend in order to test this theory, she reluctantly agrees. As a work-crazed fashion designer, boutique owner and soon-to-be reality show judge, Chloe has no time for a real boyfriend, but being part of a faux pair will do just fine. Not that she has any intention of trying to attract someone else.

However…

Opportunity unexpectedly knocks when Chloe meets fellow reality judge, William Shannon. Super successful and super sexy, this high-powered entrepreneur inspires Chloe to test Ethan’s theory herself. Now, on top of keeping her fashion business productive, carving out a new role as a television personality, maintaining a fake relationship and attempting to lay the groundwork for a future relationship, she’s lying to William, lying to her friends, lying to her family and quite possibly lying to herself. Will Chloe be able to keep it all together, or are things about to explode?
 
 
When Anna asked me to read her new book, as soon as I read the blurb I knew that this book was going to be an amazing read. As soon as I had read the first page, I was immediately hooked by the first scene that had me laughing as soon as I read it.
 
The story revolves around Chloe, Ethan, William and many more exciting characters. Chloe Lane is the main character of the story, she has been asked by her best friend, Ethan Webster to pretend to be his girlfriend as part of a ploy to get more attention for possible suitors. Chloe is a fashion designer who owns a boutique in New York City. Having been friends with Ethan for a long as she can remember she decides to help him out, and may herself out at the same time.
 
So when Chloe is asked to take part on a reality television show, as a judge she thinks it will be good seen as she is very focused on her career. But not everything is as simple as it seems, when taking part in the show, she meets fellow judge William Shannon. A millionaire businessman who doesn't seem interested, yet Chloe still tries to capture his attention. Through out the whole book there are a lot of funny parts that make you laugh out loud, throwing in her friends Julian, Veronica and Isabel they all add so much fun and style to this amazing book. There is a lot of swearing in the book, but with the added humour it makes this book an amazing chick-lit with a comedy twist.
 
My favourite character would have to be Chloe, as not only is the main character but she is amazingly funny, happy character that you cant help but like. I would really love to see another story to carry on the story about Chloe and the crazy life she leads.
 
My favourite quote from Lying to Meet You would be towards the beginning of the book, the quote is:-
 
“What the fuck?” she shrieks.
What in the world? What could have brought that on? I glance at the scruffy guy
and he looks completely unfazed. Maybe Natasha has Tourette's syndrome or something.
“I said no. Do not fight me on this, goddammit. You'll get your root canal after the
taping. Now, suck down a few aspirin and get the fuck over here. Chloe, hi!” She
stands up to greet me. “Natasha Keller, production manager.”
Oh I see. As I shake her hand, I notice the headset clamped to her other ear.
 
After reading this part I was laughing my head off, it is so funny yet it is also plausible that it could really happen to someone. 
 
If I had to sum this book up in three words they would be, Hilarious, Brilliant and Marvellous. If you like books by Sophie Kinsella or Allie Spencer then this book is for you. The witty comments and funny moments they make me wish there were a sequel to this one, to continue this amazing story that I really love.
 
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good laugh, characters that come to life in your imagination or New York City because who doesn't love New York.
 
Thank you to Anna for give me a copy to read.

 

Born and raised in the Midwest, Anna Garner's adventurous spirit kicked in after graduating from high school, and she's since lived in Boston, NYC and London. For several years, Anna worked in fashion--first as a journalist and then as a shopkeeper, and for a while she dabbled in design. Although chick lit was her first love, Anna started writing quirky romances, and her first one, Fashioning a Romance, was published in May 2012 under the name of Libby Mercer. This was followed by two more quirky romances: Unmasking Maya and The Karmic Connection. Since Lying to Meet You is written in old school chick lit style and isn't a clear cut love story, Anna decided to publish it under her real name. She currently lives in San Francisco and spends most of her time cranking out more stories.
 
 
Another day, another book,


post signature

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog! Leave a link and I will be sure to visit your site, too!